testing 1 2 3  

Posted by tsukishiro yamazaki in

As planned, I will now give my reaction to Steve Jobs' Commencement Speech. And here it is:

‘Just for now, it’s the end of the road. JUST FOR NOW,’ says Tsukishiro.

I have known that Bill Gates was a drop out of college but I never knew that Steve Jobs was a drop out as well. The funny thing about his situation is that he PURPOSELY dropped out from college after realizing that college could not provide answers to his questions in life and that he was merely wasting his foster parents’ life savings. When you analyze his reasons, you’d probably find yourselves standing/riding in the same boat with me. “He’s got to be crazy quitting college when he has just started in it just because he can’t find the answers in his questions in life in college?! That’s such a load of crap!” This is what I would probably be saying if you ask me to give a comment regarding his decision. But though his actions somehow seem absurd, it turns out to be one his best choices in life. If not for his dropping out, he wouldn’t have entered that calligraphy class and Mac wouldn’t have had its “glorious” font styles that we know of today! From here on, I began to appreciate his decisions and slowly, as he continued with his stories, I began to see myself in Steve Jobs.

On the fateful day of April 18, 2008, I faced my first big failure. It was a literal failure. After having their caucus, our SAD panelists decided to fail us. It was my first ever failure. At first, I ‘openly” embraced it since it implied that I can finally have a momentary rest from doing our SAD project. But as soon as I realized that it would also imply the deprivation of my graduation honors and the disqualification from the Dean’s Lister, I immediately became consumed by all form of anxiety. In front of me, I see my future being shattered. Slowly, my world was crumbling into pieces. I began to have regrets. Ina phrase, I was lost! Then, I heard this song by Matt Goss, entitled “It’s the end of the road.” The song completely depicts my situation. After going through several counseling, discernment and meditation, I found new strength. I found new courage knowing that my loving Father, my God, already has something better, if not at least good, prepared ahead of me.

The whole experience of my failure was truly a humbling experience. It placed me in a position where I was able to see a lot of things; and by seeing, I don’t mean the literal part of it only. I was basically in a position where wisdom could freely flow into my thoughts. True enough, I had many realizations. And with those realizations came new intentions and inspiration.

During the summer, we had a project in Automata. Using my newly found source of inspiration, I worked hard for our project, giving it my best. As a result, it was my first program that was fully and completely functional and working! I know that if I continue with this mindset, there would no longer be, hopefully, any form of obstacle that I would fail. And a few years from now, I’d be like Steve Jobs, connecting the dots from the point of my success all the way back to the point of my failure. For it is just the end of the road.

JUST FOR NOW!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at Tuesday, September 09, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment